Following are the instructions to set up OpenVPN connection using LimeVPN on your ASUS router that is flashed with ASUSWRT-MERLIN firmware. The instructions were made using an ASUS RT-AC87U with version 380.59.
1. Login to your router’s web interface
2. Click on the VPN tab on the left side of the window.
3. Click on OpenVPN Clients tab
4. Download the latest LimeVPN .ovpn configuration files from our here and unzip the downloaded file to your computer. Get back to the Asus router control panel and click on Browse
5. Select a preferred configuration file from the list and click on Open.
6. Click on the Upload button and wait until the page refreshes itself.
7. After the page refresh most of the fields will fill in automatically. However, you still have to insert your LimeVPN username and password.
8. Set Accept DNS Configuration to Strict if you are planning to use LimeVPN on all your home network devices or set it to Exclusive if you will use it on specific devices. We would recommend you to set it to Strict.
9. In the Custom Configuration, enter this text:
# log /tmp/vpn.log
10. Click on Apply button at the bottom of the page. Wait for the changes to be applied. If you see the green ON button – you are connected!